Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Creating a Card for the Blue Knight Rubber Stamps Red, White & Blue DT Challenge

Hello my crafty and creative friends!

Today I'm sharing a card that I created for the Blue Knight Rubber Stamps Design Team Red, White & Blue Challenge.

I knew that I wanted to use Blue Knight's OLD GLORY stamp as the focal image along with a sentiment from the THANK YOU HERO stamp set.
I also knew that I wanted to .....
Add color with PanPastels
I wanted a "resist" look
I wanted to use Versamark ink for the resist look
and
I wanted to add color "outside of the lines"....AKA beyond the lines of the image...for a stained/distressed/worn look

I started out by stamping the OLD GLORY image with Versamark ink onto Spectrum Noir Ultra Smooth card stock making sure to let the ink cry completely.
I chose the PanPastel colors that I wanted to use from my Sunrise/Sunset and Day/Night Blue Knight Select PanPastel Palettes...(Red...Blues...White...and the Colorless Blender)

I use a PanPastel Soft sponge applicator to apply the colors to the image.
To whiten up the stars,  used an eraser to remove any blue that may have covered them.
(Yes!...PanPastels are erasable!)
I gave special attention to extending the red into the alternating white stripes of the flag image for the worn,/distressed/stained look that I wanted.

After the image was colored I went over the entire image with the Colorless Blender which was helpful in softening the colors and "blending them out" to achieve the look that I wanted.
When all of the color was in place and blended and looking as I wanted it to look...
I sprayed the piece lightly with Nexxus Comb Thru Hairspray to seal/fix it (to prevent smudging and smearing)

I also used PanPastel to add color to a smaller piece of card stock, for the THANK YOU HERO sentiment.
The sentient was stamped with black Versafine ink (my fave for stamping sentiments)



I chose red and midnight blue metallic card stock for matting and positioned the matted sentiment piece with fun foam to add some dimension to the card


In the end, this card had the look that I had in mind when I began creating it for the DT's Red, White & Blue Challenge.
Best of all, I got to try out PanPastels to see if I could achieve the distressed color-outside-of-the-lines look that I wanted, I also got to try a color/resist technique, which worked out nicely with the PanPastels (*Good to know for a floral image that I have in mind for a future card)

For me, extending color beyond the image lines is stepping outside of my usual card making comfort zone. I am typically a very CAS neat and tidy card maker...so this casual look is a stretch for me...and one that I am glad I tried for this image and card.

Thanks for stopping by today to take a look at my Red White and Blue DT Challenge card.
I hope that you found a little bit of inspiration at my blog today and might create a red white and blue card of your own!

You can find the OLD GLORY stamp HERE
and the THANK YOU HERO stamp set HERE
The Blue Knight Select PanPastel Palettes can be found HERE

Wishing you a wonderful and creative day
Michelle

6 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning and I think this is perfect for a Fourth of July card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Verna!
      This card was a cinch to make!

      Delete
  2. Michelle,what a wonderful card the restic look that you achieved looks great !
    What a great patriotic car and I love the sentiment , thanks for sharing!
    Now more then ever the Pastels go to the top of my wish list next month !
    πŸŽˆπŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Therese!
      Using PanPastels for this card really makes it a fast easy card to create.

      Delete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment!