Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Lady Liberty Shaker Card


HI everyone!
It's Wednesday...
and that means that it's my Crafter's Companion Design Team Project Day, here at my blog.

I've got something "seasonal" to share today...
along with a little story about me...
and where I grew up..
and continue to live.

I'm an "Island" girl...
Not Hawaii
or the tropics...
I'm a Staten Island Girl...
I grew up on a little Island that is part of NYC...
a small little island...14 miles in length from one end to the other...
Then..in my married life..
I hopped across the water to Long Island...
but never venturing too far away from the place that I will always call home...
Staten Island.


The Statue of Liberty is a significant to us, as Americans.
and...for me...
it holds a little bit of extra significance...
being that Lady Liberty has always been right in my backyard.

Growing up on Staten Island, and continuing to live, now
not far from Staten Island...and Manhattan..
The Statue of Liberty is part of the backdrop of so much of daily life.
But, this being said...
my sense of awe...or appreciation for sharing my backyard with this "Lady" has never diminished.

A ride on the (Staten Island) Ferry is a 25 minute visual experience that never gets old...
even if you've done it countless times...as I have.
An experience that I've never taken for granted...
Standing on the ferry and looking back at the sandy shores and hilly green landscape of my childhood Island reminds me of what "home" truly means...
no matter how far I may roam.
(and yes...that little Island...just a stones throw away from Manhattan..
is the place that has given me my (very) pronounced...
and VERY OBVIOUS 
New Yawk accent.

Looking out over the water as the ferry glides across its surface...
seeing the bridges....
Verrazano...Brooklyn...Manhattan...
The unmistakable skyline of the city...
Governors Island...Battery Park's greenery...
the Brooklyn Waterfront...
Ellis Island..
I could go on and on...
There really are no words to describe all of it...
or...
any of it...
What I do know is...
I am one lucky girl to have all of this...
in my backyard...
(literally)

Being a Staten Islander...
salty sea air...beaches...the shape of the skyline of lower Manhattan and beyond...
and the Statue of Liberty
are what surrounded me each day...
as I worked...ran errands...and lived my Staten Island life.
Even now...
when we go to a minor league baseball game on the Island...
the stadium touches and sits on the waterfront...
and while we sit in our seats...
the magnificent skyline of "the city"...
and the Statue of Liberty are just behind the outfield.

So as Independence Day is drawing near...
I wanted to create a card that included Lady Liberty...

Crafter's Companion Destinations~Spirit of Adventure stamp set 
has a beautiful Statue of Liberty image..
(and it's the perfect size for card making)
and so...
That's the stamp that I used as the centerpiece of this CAS (Clean And Simple) card.

I stamped the image onto a transparency sheet 
(made sure to let it dry)
and created a patriotic inspired shaker card using red white and blue card stock.
I cut some photo corners and stars...
added some red, blue and silver sequins...
and...
here it is...
A very patriotic Statue of Liberty shaker card...
shimmery...and sparkly...
and very red, white, blue....and silver! 
Clean And Simple...
and ready for the 4th of July!




The shimmery red card stock is perfect for this card..
(afterall...what's 4 of July without some sparkle?)
I added some die cut stars...
I had a small piece of blue foil in my scrap folder..
and added that for some extra color and shine
You can see the corner elements and dimension in this close-up.


This card is very much...me....
it's very much my preferred style of card making..
Crisp...clean..and simple...
and was fun to create.
(I haven't made a shaker card in a while!)
and...
this wonderful image makes me smile...
and reminds me of home...
It doesn't get much better than that.


Thanks for visiting....
I hope that this CAS card inspires you to create a shaker card of your own...
Michelle.

Supply List:
Misc: Transparency sheet, Black Ink pad, sequins, foam mounting tape, trimmer, scissors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to comment!