Monday, October 23, 2017

Bow-Challenged No More! ... I Can Make Bows!

Please take a seat.
I have an announcement to make.
Something HUGE.
Ready?

I am no longer bow-challenged!
I can make bows!

Yep.
I can make bows.

Perfect bows.


I am in disbelief...
and so...I have to share the story with you...
and show you some proof!

I wanted to try the DecoFun Bow Maker
and some beautiful ribbon from The Ribbon Place.

I was excited about the gorgeous ribbon.
The Ribbon Shop has great quality ribbon...
**This is the same place that I got the nautical ribbon from and the paw print ribbon.
(Both shown on prior blog posts and used to create cards)

Well...I was excited about the beautiful ribbon
but not so much about the Bow Maker.
I am NOT a bow girl
Can't make a bow.
Not at all.
Never could...and I thought...never will.

But..
I sat down to give the DecoFun Bow maker a try.
I read the easy to understand directions and thought...
Maybe I can do this.
Maybe.

I didn't want to waste the "good ribbon" from The Ribbon Place
(should my bow making run amok)
so I got out some generic ribbon from one of the generic craft stores.

I set my bow maker on the studio work table...
and dove right in.
(I looked at the time on my cell phone first)
and shouted to my sweetheart who was in his studio...
"WISH ME LUCK..I'M GOING TO TRY TO MAKE A BOW!"
His response: "GOOOOOOOD Luck!"

2 minutes 35 second later...
and...
I MADE A BOW!!
Done.

A perfect double loop bow.
Yes...you heard me..
A DOUBLE LOOP BOW!
I took that bow in my little bow making hands...
and  sprinted right into my sweethearts studio to show him.
Him: Jaw dropped. Couldn't believe what he was looking at.

Wanna see my bow?
Look!!
I made that bow!

Here's a close up.
Can you believe it? 
(I can't!)

Of course...I wanted to make another bow...
and another...and another...
I had a few Halloween projects in mind
and thought that a few bows would be great for the projects.

So..
before I started to create another bow...
I thought that I'd document the process ...with photos...
and share them here with you
so that you can see how easy the DecoFun Bow Maker is to use.

So here we go...
This is the DecoFun Bow Maker and the beautiful Halloween ribbon...


I chose the double sided black and orange ribbon for my next bow...
(This is gorgeous ribbon...black grosgrain on one side...and orange satin on the other)
I wanted to make a bow in the smallest size...
so I placed each of the dowels in the innermost holes on either side of the center loops
(The further out the dowel placement...the larger the bow)
I used blue painter's tape to hold the right end of the ribbon in place.
I found this to be a very handy little trick.
that allowed me to maneuver and start looping the ribbon length with complete ease.
I pulled the ribbon across ...right to left...as shown.
and as per the directions

Then..as per the directions...
I looped the ribbon left to right

then...
right to left 

Because I wanted a double looped bow...
I looped the ribbon left to right again...
and then right to left one last time.


I cut  a length of a wired twist tie and bent it in half.
*I did this prior to starting the bow making...
so that the wired twist tie would be ready when I needed it
I pinched the center of all of the ribbon on the Bow Maker together.
A good tight pinch...really pinching the center of the ribbon loops tightly.
I applied the wired twist tie to the pinched center...
and twisted it tightly..
to hold the pinched ribbon together in the center of the bow.

After pinching the center of the ribbon loops...
and applying the wired twist tie
this is what I had!
(I cut the left end of the ribbon from the spool to create the left bow tail


Here's a photo of the back...showing the secured twist tie

I wanted to finish the bow's center...to cover the twist tie...
So...
I cut a length of the double sided ribbon...


and...
I applied Scor-Tape to the orange side.


I folded the little piece of ribbon in half...
pressing down to make sure the Scor-tape was doing it's job


I put Scor-Tape on one side of the folded ribbon piece


and..
I covered the twist tie with it...
pressing down firmly to make sure that the Scor-Tape was sticking to the center of the ribbon 
and the twist tie

Here's the completed bow...
with the center finished.


and...
A close up!
(I can hardly believe that I made this double looped bow!)
Me...who has always avoided projects that required bow making!


So what do you think?
Pretty neat...huh?
This DecoFun Bow Maker is so easy to use...
I knew that I HAD to dedicate a blog post to telling you all about it.

If you are bow-challenged like I am...You NEED this bow maker...
Or should I say...
if you are bow challenged LIKE I USED TO BE.
haha

While you're checking out the DecoFun Bow Maker at The Ribbon Place HERE
take a look at the ribbon too....the quality is fantastic!

I'm so excited about being able to create a few bows 
for the Halloween projects that I want to make.
I'll be back to share pics during the week
(the projects are very basic...very simple...
but the bows should be ideal for finishing them with a little something extra nice!


Thanks for visiting today, my crafty and creative friends!
Have a wonderful day!
Michelle.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Michelle. This bow maker looks so different from others and might be just the thing for us "bow-challenged" crafters! Your friend, kReN

    ReplyDelete
  2. M, is this the basic one or one of the other models?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kren...I believe that all of the options are the same tool...the difference is the ribbon pkg that comes with each one...
      BUT...if you have any questions beyond what I might have shared...send a private message on Deco Fun via their etsy shop...
      DEB is very nice...very helpful...she answered my questions

      Delete
  3. Hooray for you!!! Beautifully done, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti!
      60 years old and I can FINALLY make a presentable bow....LOL

      Delete
  4. Michelle, this is the greatest little tool ! And I love how it makes the double bow! I can make the single ones but not double . This tool can make so many more ! It's on my wishlist for Christmas! Now I can not only make bows for my cards but for my granddaughters hair ! And others ! Love your Blog ! 🎈🐒🎈the sunshine ☀️ of my very rainy ☔️ day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This little tool is amazing Therese...
      I never thought that I'd be able to make a bow...

      Delete
  5. Finally, u can quit hoarding all ur beautiful ribbon. I'm very happy for you. I can hear u giggling with excitement

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment!