Saturday, July 22, 2017

A Die Cut Card with Dimension

Many years ago...
I enjoyed creating white on white cards.
The cards usually had lots of layers
some very basic die cutting..and lots of Cuttlebug embossing. 

It's been a long long time since I've done a white on white...
or ivory on ivory card
So I thought that I'd revive an old favorite of mine (with a little bit of a twist)
by adding a card stock layer for matting that had color
and by making a larger die cut the focal "image".

I have a favorite card stock that I use often...
Papertrey Ink's RUSTIC CREAM card stock.
It had little flecks in it that look like fibers and natural paper.
I knew that I wanted to use this card stock for this group of cards
I paired it up with a nice kraft colored card stock.
I chose a bird on a branch die... by IO (Impression Obsession)
and sentiments stamps from The Ton's SCRIPTY GREETINGS stamp set

I created 5 cards...3 sympathy...2 birthday...
I cut and prepped 5 mat layers with the kraft card stock...
 and 5 layers which Rustic card stock 
I die cut the 5 birds on the branch using the Rustic card stock. and set them aside.
I saved the larger card stock piece with the negative space
and stamped a sentiment on each one in a craft like ink color.
Next I positioned & adhered the negative space Rustic card stock over the kraft  card stock.
I applied foam dimensionals to the back of the birds...
and rolled glue dots to each of the leaves and some of the thicker branches
(***For info about using rolled glue dots go HERE for my HELPFUL HINT)
When I had all of the rolled glue dots and foam dimensionals in place...
I offset positioned the die cut piece over the negative space
allowing the kraft card stock to create the offset "shadow" & dimension.

Here's a close-up....so that you can see the details...
The die cut...offset...and "elevated" on the glue dots
and the flecks of natural looking fibers in the card stock.


I also created a few sympathy cards


I enjoyed creating this stack of 5 cards
by revisiting a card making style and color palette  that I have always loved..."tone on tone"
and I'm glad that this time...I included a mat layer with color.
(This now has me thing of other possibilities....
or as my friend Stone always likes to tease and say....
"Michelle is thinking...I see smoke coming from her noggin")

I'll put those ideas on hold for a little bit though...
because I've got some Brutus Monroe lined up for my blog for the next few days.

Thanks for visiting today, my crafty and creative friends...
Hope to see you tomorrow 
when I share the first day of a few days of Brutus Monroe 
here at my blog.
Michelle

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card, I do love the way you have done that die cut by raising it and giving it dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, gorgeous!🐢🎈🐢

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card, would love to try something like this.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome card thank you for the idea of using the negative space like that

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment!