Saturday, May 27, 2017

Lighthouses.....to Mark the Beginning of Summer

I've been absent from my blog for a little while..
It has been hectic with lots of good and wonderful things...
and I haven't had much free time to relax and create cards in my studio.

At the top of the list of what's been keeping me busy 
Our daughter....our  Cum Laude college graduate!
We are so proud of Chelsea! 
All of the cords and shawls that she is wearing in this photo remind us of all that she has accomplished and worked hard at during her college years...
Graduating Cum Laude with her BS (Bio/Psychology)
Induction into numerous Honor Societies...
AOII (her Sorority)...achievements...and academic travels abroad.
She..and we...are excited about what lies ahead for her.
and...
Selfishly, I am LOVING every moment of having her home after her 4 years away at college.
Chelsea brings lots of joy and life and happiness to our otherwise quiet home.
She's home!
and we are thrilled!

Next...at the top of "Happy Event" list was my own "Graduation" earlier this week.
I had my followup appointment/visit with my Oncology Surgeon..
he gave me the thumbs up on how I am doing...
My CT scan is NED
Dream words when you have had 3 different cancers...multiple surgeries and treatment in 12 years
(NED = No Evidence of Disease)
YAY ME!

and...
as my appointment with my surgeon was coming to a close...
he informed me that I have now "graduated"
and will now continue on with him via Memorial Sloan Kettering's Survivorship program.

Two graduations in our family within a few days of one another...
and lots of reasons to be feeling joy-filled....and grateful.

Now...let's chat about...Cards!

Growing up there I did...
On a beachy Island...
and Summers spent at the Jersey Shore...
Memorial Day was always a day of remembering our Island's fallen servicemen...
a parade along Bay Street in my childhood neighborhood...
and...
Memorial Day also marked the official beginning of the Summer Shore season.

So...
What better way for me to kick off this weekend...
and the Summer season than with a few lighthouse cards.

I have a nice collection of lighthouse stamps...
So I chose a few that caught my eye for today's cards.
I haven't water colored a car in....ages!
So I got out my water color pencils to add some color to the stamp images.
I chose metallic card stock for matting
and a little bit of raw twine for embellishing.

The first lighthouse image called "Lighthouse with Flowers"
(Impression Obsession)
This image has its of detail...and lots of opportunity to add color.
Spectrum Noir Aquablend Pencils were perfect for water coloring this card
because some of the detail is so small.
The point of a water color pencil was ideal for adding color
I used a very small paintbrush and water to blend the penciled in color.
I chose metallic card stock colors that went well with the image for matting and layering.
and popped the matted image up on fun foam for added dimension.
To finish the card....I added some raw twine below the painted image.




The second card was created with Stampendous' stamp called "Marblehead Lighthouse"
Again...I used the Spectrum Aquablend Pencils...
l used lots of shimmery metallic card stock for matting and layering
and this time , to finish the card...
I knotted multiple stands of a deep red twine over the base layer mat.

Now...
It is officially Summer!

I've got a few more beach/nautical stamps that I hope to create a few cards with...
along with some great nautical ribbon...
I'll be back to share them, when they're complete!

I hope that you find a nice way to kick off your Summer this weekend..
and above all..
I hope that you take a moment to reflect on the true meaning of this Holiday...
Remembering those in uniform who gave their life for our country.

Thanks for visiting my crafty and creative friends...
Michelle.



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards once again Michelle. With the heartfelt intro to the meaning of them gives even a more special place. Again CONGRATULATIONS to you & Chelsea on your GREAT achievements. Have a wonderful beginning to the summer and a HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY. This is a day to remember ALL of our men & women who have and continue to strive to keep US SAFE !

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful cards, where in south jersey are you?
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan....I grew up on Staten Island....Spent many Summers at the Jersey Shore....

      Delete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment!