Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Learning Curve: Exploring the Possibilities....Spectrum Noir Aqua Blend Pencils

I spent lots of time in my studio yesterday....
and did lots of experimenting with Spectrum Noir Aqua Blend Pencils.

My goal was to work with blending...
layering colors...
shading....

There were a few "fails"...
and a few successes.
But actually...
there really were no "fails"...
because, for me...
 that's where the learning comes in.
The "fails" allowed me to know what works...
and what doesn't.

A friend has been asking me to create a hummingbird card.
So I got out a new stamp set that I have had since it first came out...
but had never been inked up.

Stampendous ~ Frans Hummingbird Stamp Set... and Matching Die

The floral sprig is HUGE...
way too big for a std A2 card front
(but perfect for the Stampendous pop-up cards
which it coordinates with)
But I was going with an A2...

I chose the section of the floral sprig that I wanted to use..
positioned it in my MISTI
and stamped it onto Crafter's Companion Spectrum Noir Water Color Card Stock
and..
I got busy coloring...
and experimenting...
and enjoying the entire process.

In the end...2 floral sprigs went into the trash..
I just wasn't happy with the final product.
Bt this is a good thing....
because by the time I began coloring the hummingbird...
I had a better understanding about blending.

While I am very happy with the background coloring...and the hummingbird itself...
I do feel like the flowers need a bit more shading/color variation/depth
and next time, I'll work on that aspect of coloring with the pencils.

All in all, though,
I am happy with the card...
Coloring with Aqua Blend Pencils is becoming a coloring fave of mine.
Today, I'll continue to use them on some new images...
dedicating some time to shading and mixing colors.

So here's the hummingbird...
I hope that when my friend John checks in here, at my blog today...
that he smiles...
and knows that when he asks me to create a particular card...
that I truly DO listen...
and I really DO keep a wish list...
with his name at the top...
so that I can eventually create cards that he has asked for.
Yep...whenever he mentions a card that he's like to see me create...
I jot it down on a wish list...
so that I won't forget.

So here ya go John...
Thank you for always being my best cheerleader about my card making...
This one's for you!


This is really a lovely stamp set to work with...
The hummingbird has lots of nice sketch detail
which is great for coloring.
I'm good to go with this card...but in being critical of myself.
(which I always am when it comes to my own card making)
I do feel that I'd like to take a different approach with the flowers next time.
Mainly with the color choices and layering.


I just love this hummingbird...
To create some depth and dimension...
I used dimensionals under the birds head..wings...and mid body section only
The tail feathers are flat...no dimensionals
This really enhanced the look of the bird taking flight.
I'm also happy with the coloring on the bird..
my choice of colors...and the blending.
There's bit of Wink of Stella on the flower trumpet..
and the edge of the hummingbird's wings.
I used green LCI Metallic Card Stock for matting
(The dark green mat against the lighter green leaves were a good match)
If I had o choose a favorite thing about this card....
I think I'd have 2...
The bird's colors..
and those subtle dots of pinkish color in the background.
The muted dots-like color was part of my "experimenting" with the pencils and controlling the amount of water used to blend.
The result was one that made me smile...

So there ya have it...
A humming bird...
Long requested by my friend...
finally done...
and a bit of a card making/card coloring learning experience for me.
I'm already looking forward to getting myself to into the studio today...
to spend some more time "experimenting" with the Aqua Blend pencils.

Card loving friends...
This Hummingbird card is now available at The Bellissima Card Shop

Card making friends...
The brief supply list is posted below

Thanks for visiting...
and if you're a card maker...
take time today to get out some supplies...and tools that you haven't used yet...
You'll be so glad that you did...because in the end...you'll feel like you've kicked your skills and card making repertoire up a notch!
and THAT'S a great feeling!
Have a great day!
Michelle.

Supply List:
Stamp: Stampendous: Fran's Hummingbirds
Coloring/Ink: Ranger Archival Ink:  Black, Spectrum Noir Aqua Blend pencils
Card Stock: Crafter's Companion Spectrum Noir Water Color card Stock, PTI  and LCI Metallic 
Misc: Wink of Stella Clear


2 comments:

Thank you for taking a moment to comment!